Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Gay Pop Star Will Top Hot 100

From the first time I heard it, I thought Adam Lambert's "Whataya Want From Me" would reach No. 1 on the Billboard's Hot 100 chart.

My predictions are occasionally wrong, but that hasn't been the case with pop music. I felt the same way about three songs released by new acts in the last six months: "Down" by Jay Sean feat. Lil Wayne, "Fireflies" by Owl City and "Tik Tok" by Ke$ha. They all reached No. 1.

Adam Lambert has an advantage over those acts. He gained popularity by finishing runner-up on the ratings juggernaut known as "American Idol." Give the title to Kris Allen, but my money's on Lambert to have the better career. (For sports fans: I also predicted Kevin Durant would be better than Greg Oden in the NBA, even though Oden was drafted first. Count it.)

Also, if Lambert manages to obtain a No. 1 hit on his first album, that gives some credibility to an openly gay male singer in today's pop culture. I am interested to see if he can do anything to help make America more accepting of gays/lesbians or if he will turn them off even more like he did at the AMA's. Either way, I think he will have a chance to make an impact since "Whataya Want From Me" is climbing the charts. It is now No. 28 on the Hot 100 and has only been receiving airplay in Nashville for a few weeks.

It won't be easy to reach the top. The Black Eyed Peas took over this past week with "Imma Be," which will be difficult to dethrone. They controlled the No. 1 position for 26 consecutive weeks in 2009 with "Boom Boom Pow" and "I Gotta Feeling." Even with the Peas at the top, though, I'm staying out on my limb about Lambert reaching No. 1.

Hopefully, he will, and I can keep my streak of predicting No. 1 hits intact.

No comments:

Post a Comment