Sunday, January 31, 2010

2010 Grammy Awards...I Gotta Feeling

Tonight is music's biggest night. I'm disappointed that pop has completely taken over the major categories, but my picks are in regardless.

Album of the Year
"I Am ... Sasha Fierce," Beyoncé
"The E.N.D.," the Black Eyed Peas
"The Fame," Lady GaGa
"Big Whiskey and the Groogrux King," Dave Matthews Band
"Fearless," Taylor Swift

Since the best album of the year wasn't nominated (21st Century Breakdown by Green Day), I am forced to choose the best nominee. Dave Matthews Band outclasses the other four by a great margin. If not DMB, then I hope Taylor wins, since she actually writes music and doesn't have any songs that contain a chorus that includes, "Boom Boom Boom."

Song of the Year
"Poker Face," Lady GaGa and RedOne, songwriters (Lady GaGa)
"Pretty Wings," Hod David and Musze, songwriters (Maxwell)
"Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)," Thaddis Harrell, Beyoncé Knowles, Terius Nash and Christopher Stewart, songwriters (Beyoncé)
"Use Somebody," Caleb Followill, Jared Followill, Matthew Followill and Nathan Followill, songwriters (Kings of Leon)
"You Belong With Me," Liz Rose and Taylor Swift, songwriters (Taylor Swift)

Since "21 Guns" by Green Day wasn't nominated, I am going with the boys residing in Nashville, Kings of Leon. I would be embarrassed to watch someone win Song of the Year with either of these choruses: "If you liked it, then you shoulda put a ring on it" or "My p-p-poker face, my p-poker face." Ridiculous.

Record of the Year
"Halo," Beyoncé
"I Gotta Feeling," the Black Eyed Peas
"Use Somebody," Kings of Leon
"Poker Face," Lady GaGa
"You Belong With Me," Taylor Swift

I gotta feeling the Black Eyed Peas are going to win this award. Next topic.

Best New Artist
Zac Brown Band
Keri Hilson
MGMT
Silversun Pickups
The Ting Tings

From what I've read, the Zac Brown Band are the favorites. That's f-ing retarded. MGMT is in a different league than the other four nominees. They've written three of the best songs I've ever heard ("Time to Pretend," "Kids," and "Electric Feel), and I would be willing to put my life on the line that the other artists in this category combined will never accomplish that feat.

There they are. It won't surprise me if I don't get one of the major awards correct, but I definitely chose the best of the nominations we have been given. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment